- Estrus: According to sociobiology, the development of menstruation sets those primates apart from other mammals with an estrous cycle. Because this renders fertility/receptivity less obvious, in theory it significantly alters the dynamics of Parental Investment.
- Mandrell: Homonym for “mandrill.”
- Savanna: Several types of monkeys have evolved or adapted to living in savannas, including baboons, patas monkeys, vervet monkeys, and green monkeys.
- Gibbons: The archetypal tree-swinging ape.
- Simeon: Homonym for “simian.”
- Nichols-Woking: Anglophile homonym/bad pun for “knuckle-walking.”
- Chattered, howled, grunted: All terms for how different apes and monkeys communicate.
- “O! I am Fortune’s fool!”: A Shakespeare quote, these are Romeo’s tragic words from Romeo and Juliet, Act 3, Scene 1.
- Central University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne: See our earlier story on unfortunate university names (see here, and its reappearance on Wikibard).
Vervet monkey, by BimboDelux [Image source: Wikimedia Commons].
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.